This building was designed by Charles Garnier for Emperor Napoleon III. It is the most important specimen of the nineteenth century Second Empire Baroque style. Its construction started in 1862 and was completed in 1875.
The organ was built by Cavaillé-Coll in 1875 and is still in its original state, thus being a really exceptional witness of the work of Cavaillé-Coll in those years.It was last heard in 1968 and has been neglected since then and at present it is completely unplayable. Attemps to save this organ are ongoing.